Tailbone Injury (Coccyx Injury)
What is Tailbone Injury?
Tailbone Injury or Coccydynia is a pain from the coccyx or tailbone area, usually there is alot of possibilities of such injury occurs. One of the reason is due to direct trauma to the coccyx can result in coccyx fractures, dislocations, alignment abnormalities,and etc.. Examples of trauma to the coccyx could include a fall onto the tailbone, pregnancy (and especially childbirth, which can put substantial pressure onto the coccyx as the baby moves down within the pelvis), prolonged sitting (especially sitting on a hard surface, or sitting on a narrow surface such as a bicycle seat, or increased sitting due to immobility because of an injury at a totally unrelated body region).
Symptoms of Tailbone Injury
- Severe localized pain and tenderness may be felt in the tailbone area.
- If the injury is traumatic, a bruise may be visible in this area.
- The pain is generally worse when sitting for prolonged periods of time, or with direct pressure to the tailbone area.
- Bowel movementsand straining are often painful.
Causes of Tailbone Injury
- A fall onto the tailbone region in a seated position, which usually hit against a hard surface.
- A direct blow to the tailbone during contact sports.
- The coccyx can be injured or fractured during childbirth.
- Due to straining or friction against the coccyx when cycling and rowing.
Treatment for Tailbone Injury
- Stronger pain medications.
- Doctors may prescribe stool softeners to prevent constipation.
SELF-DIAGNOSE CAN BRING MORE HARM THAN TREATING IT. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE INJURY BUT DEFINITELY NOT TO THE POINT OF SELF-TREATMENT. IT WILL BE MUCH SAFER TO GET TREATED BY OUR DOCTORS. THE HOTLINE IS OPEN 24 HOURS. YOU MAY ALSO SEND US AN ENQUIRY FOR YOUR ANKLE PAIN, BACK PAIN, ELBOW PAIN, HAND PAIN, HIP PAIN, KNEE PAIN, OR SHOULDER PAIN
Orthopaedic Surgeon Specialist
MBBS (HK), MRCS (Edin), MMED (Ortho), FRCS (Ortho)
Dr. Ambrose Yung specialise in Sports Medicines, Osteoarthritis, Fracture, Partial & Total Joint Replacement, Minimal Invasive Trauma Surgery, Arthroscopy, Common Orthopaedic Problems for Adult & Children
Spinal Neurosurgeon Specialist
MBBS (Singapore), FRCS (Surgical Neurology UK), FAMS
Dr. Mather Tung specialises in treating Back Pain, Neck Pain, Nerve Disorder, Headache, Brain, Tumour, Osteoporosis, Stroke, Sweaty Palm
Having Back Problems?
Make An Appointment With Us!!
Gleneagles Medical Center,
6 Napier Road #02-11/12
Singapore 258 499.
Mon – Friday: 9am – 530pm
Saturday: 9am – 1230pm