What is Winged Scapula?
A winged scapula is where the shoulder blade protrudes out on the back. It is an injury commonly associated with poor posture. It is known as winged scapula as the medial border of the scapula can appear to be wing-like on the back.
Symptoms of Winged Scapula
- Protusion of the scapular
- Pressure on the scapular from a chair when sitting
- Pain and limited shoulder elevation
Causes of Winged Scapula
- Damage or a contusion to the long thoracic nerve of the shoulder
- Paralysis of the serratus anterior muscle and winging of the scapular or shoulder blade
- Damage to the nerve can be caused by a contusion or blunt trauma of the shoulder
- Traction of the neck
Treatment for Winged Scapula
- Surgical Treatment
Self-Diagnose can bring more harm than treating it. It is good to know more about the injury but definitely not to the point of self-treatment. It will be much safer to get treated by Our Doctor, for more information or to book an appointment with Singapore Sports and Orthopaedic Clinic, you can call (+65) 6475 8011, the hotline is open 24 hours. You may also send us an enquiry for appointment.