Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Facture
What is Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Facture?
Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Fracture is a very serious injury. The most common fractures of the spine occur in the thoracic (midback) and lumbar spine (lower back) or at the connection of the two (thoracolumbar junction) . The energy required to cause these spinal fractures, patients often have additional injuries that require treatment. The spinal cord may be injured, depending on the severity of the spinal fracture.
Symptoms of Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Fracture
- Moderate to severe back pain
- Loss control of bladder function
Causes of Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Fracture
- Car crash
- Fall from height
- Sports accident
Treatment for Lumbar and Thoracic Spine Fracture
- Back Brace
- Surgery is required if
– Severe loss of vertebral body height
– Excessive forward bending or angulation at the injury site
– Significant nerve injury due to parts of the vertebral body or disk pinching the spinal cord