Cervical Spinal Stenosis
What is Cervical Spinal Stenosis?
Cervical spinal stenosis is the narrowing of the spinal canal in the neck. The spinal cord is a collection of nerves that runs through the spinal canal from the base of the brain to the lower back. These nerves allow us to feel, to move, and to control the bowel and bladder and other body functions. In cervical spinal stenosis, the spinal canal narrows and can squeeze and compress the nerve roots or it may irritate or injure the spinal cord itself.
Symptoms of Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Stiffness, pain or numbness in the neck, shoulders, arms, hands or legs
- Balance and coordination problems, may cause crippling if the spinal cord is damaged
- Loss of bladder control
Causes of Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Age as we grow older, the shape of the spinal canal changes which cause the bulging
- Excess growth of the bones
- Destruction of tissue on the cartilage
Treatment for Cervical Spinal Stenosis
- Neck Brace
- Anti-Inflammation Medication or Injection
- Surgical Treatment
Self-Diagnose can bring more harm than treating it. It is good to know more about the injury but definitely not to the point of self-treatment. It will be much safer to get treated by Our Doctor, for more information or to book an appointment with Singapore Sports and Orthopaedic Clinic, you can call (+65) 6475 8011 , the hotline is open 24 hours. You may also send us an enquiry for appointment.