Total Elbow Replacement
What is Total Elbow Replacement?
Total Elbow Replacement is surgery to replace the bones of the elbow joint with artificial joint parts. The artificial elbow joint has two stems made of high-quality metal. A metal and plastic hinge joins the stems together and allows the artificial joint to bend. Artificial joints come in different sizes to fit different size people.
Why do we need the procedure?
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Poor outcome from previous elbow surgery
- Badly broken bone in the upper or lower arm near the elbow
- Badly damaged or torn tissues in the elbow
- Tumor in or around the elbow
What are the risk?
- Allergic reaction to the artificial joint
- Blood vessel damage during surgery
- Bone break during surgery
- Dislocation of the artificial joint
- Loosening of the artificial joint over time
- Nerve damage during surgery