Chronic Back Pain: What is it?
Since human is a creature that being up right most of the time, we will end up bears a huge amount of pressure on our lower back. The lower back region, a triangle area above the hip level, is extremely prone to strain when we stand or sit. That’s the reason why we get back pain very often. The term ‘chronic’ in back pain determined if it persist for more then 12 weeks.
our lumbar region consist of five segment called vertebrae, all stack end to end.each separated by a gel-like disc. The gel-like disc will absorb all kind of shock or pressure place on our spine. The segments are movable at their linkage points called facet joints. These vertebrae together form a column and bony canal through which the spinal cord runs. The spinal cord gives off pairs of spinal nerves at each segment near the facet joints.
Our back start to pain when:
- the disc pop out of position and pressed on the nerve. This is common to sport person or sudden heavy lifting. (exp. slipped disc)
- The facet joint developing irregular bony edge thats press on the nerves. (exp. lumbar spondylosis)
- Our spinal canal narrowed because of old age, its compressed the spinal roots inside it. (exp. spinal stenosis)
- The vertebral bone got brittle as we grow older. (exp. osteoporosis)
- The spinal segments are not in line,or curvature sideways (exp. scoliosis)
- Prolonged sitting, standing, lifting ,poor posture or overuse can cause muscles in the low back to become strain even if none of the above structural events occur.
Treatment of Chronic Back Pain
In most cases, pain medication or ample rest is needed so that we can relieves the back from the pressure placed on the back muscle or the vertebral.
If a compression fracture is diagnosed, osteoporosis medications will be administered. Physiotherapy can help relieve muscle spasm by manipulation, traction, (stretching of the vertebral column) exercises and also heat treatment. Back care education on how to avoid straining the back further can be taught by the physiotherapist. Weight reduction is also important to reduce the load on the spine.
Treatment for chronic back pain depends on the cause of the problem and the condition of the problem. Therefore, it is very importance that you understand the cause of your symptoms before embarking on a treatment program.
SELF-DIAGNOSE CAN BRING MORE HARM THAN TREATING IT. IT IS GOOD TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE INJURY BUT DEFINITELY NOT TO THE POINT OF SELF-TREATMENT. IT WILL BE MUCH SAFER TO GET TREATED BY OUR DOCTOR FOR MORE INFORMATION OR TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT WITH ORTHOPAEDICS, YOU CAN CONTACT US, THE HOTLINE IS OPEN 24 HOURS. YOU MAY ALSO SEND US AN ENQUIRY FOR ANKLE PAIN, BACK PAIN, ELBOW PAIN, HAND PAIN, HIP PAIN, KNEE PAIN, SHOULDER PAIN OR FOR AN APPOINTMENT.